You will need:
- A selection of garden seeds – three types is ideal but even one would be enough
- Small bowls to hold your seeds.
- A pen and paper
- Place a selection of different vegetable seeds into small bowls so that you can see and handle them with ease.
- Begin by asking your partner if they have ever grown vegetables. What did they grow? Was it easy or hard? What successes did they have? And failures?
- Explain that you are going to write a poem inspired by vegetable seeds – use the seeds as a starting point.
- As you are talking about the seeds write down everything that is said in response to them – this will be the basis of the poem that you create
- Do you recognise any of the seeds?
- How would you describe how they look?
- What size are they?
- What colourare they?
- What shape are they?
- What do they feel like when you handle them?
- Are they heavy of light?
- How do you think you would plant them?
- What kind of plant would they produce?
- How may they be spread in nature?
- Any other questions you would like to ask…
- Read back the words you have written down to create a simple poem.
- Can you agree a name for the poem?
- Finish by reading the poem one more time, or by inviting you partner to read it.